Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Gloomy Seattle Spring

Ah, for those of you who are not aware of the weather in Seattle... there is some truth to the rumors.  During the Spring time it can basically feel like dusk for days.  The humidity climes, the barrometric pressure drops, and boom, it's storm season.  A lovely nice drizzle that lasts for days, and actually sometimes weeks. 

That being said, when the barrometric pressure drops, well it's swelling season for some of my joints, usually entails that of the knee or ankle region.  I woke up the other morning with a knee the size of a grapefruit, and this has happened before, so I am not worried.  It will pass in a few days.  The whole issue with this is, I can't clean cages, and rearrange perches and toys like I wanted to.  Alas, I guess patience will have to be something that I wish for. 


While sitting here with the parrots, and watching their behaviors in the sunless day, I notice that they are a little more needy, and fussy.  Dexter is being his beepy self, and Cooper is doing this I want your attention, then go away dance.  In this kind of weather I wonder to myself if they want to do what most humans want to do in this weather.  Curl up with a bag of popcorn, and watch lifetime.  This even got me looking into the SAD (seasonal affective disorder) in animals, especially parrots.  This is indeed true, and shown to be a huge factor in mood with birds, and it is recommended that if you live in a similar climate to Seattle that you have full spectrum lighting lamps. 

I currently have a lamp with a full spectrum bulb by the cage, and I have a lamp that we got from IKEA that I am going to put together... let's see if we can all make it out of this Seattle Spring weather together alive.  lol!

CLICK HERE for Dr. Foster's article!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H46owcabAdM&feature=player_embedded

this is a VERY informative video by a vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment