Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Let's Talk Travel.

Okay, I know alot of people think that birds are cage bound animals, and you can't take them anywhere...blah blah blah.  Trust me, you meet a caged bird that is bored, has little interaction, and doesnt get to travel anywhere... you are going to meet a very angry, anti-social bird, that might be very well plotting your demise.  Birds in just about any capacity (now I did not say ALL) are flock animals, and interact as such. There are some rogue species that will go off on their own... but that's a whole other blog!

Now when traveling with any bird... I recommend getting the essentials, starting with a Bird First Aid Kit.
1. Styptic Powder... you can get a couple viles,  and I have one where ever we go!!
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
3. Gauze bandage
4. Towels, I like a couple of dish towels that are white (because you can see body fluids better on a white surface)
5. Location of your local Avian Veterinarian. 

You may be lucky and never need to use your emergency kit, but hey, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Next is the travel cage.  I like to use my macguyver instincts, and make things a little more inexpensive, and keep them practical.  I went to PetsMart and purchased a dog travel crate, that folds down, and was very spacious for Dexter.  I thought to myself, how can I make this work.  Well I also purchased a few removable feed dishes, and some smaller perches, and toys.  Bad-a-bing Bad-a-bang, we were off to the races. 
I read online that it would be good to get dexter used to it, so I had a portable table that I placed the cage on, and he went into every room I was in.  For the first couple weeks, I would only give him treats while he was on or in the cage... this is the best form of positive reinforcement.  He began to love his cage.  We then took him in the car, I was a little concerned, but he took to it like a fish to water.  Now when transferring your little friend in and out of the car in colder conditions, PLEASE cover him up, and make sure the car is about the same temp as the house when he gets in.  You don't want to give your buddy a scrorching case of pneumonia.  The bottom tray I covered in a garbage bag (easily thrown away if it gets soiled) and covered with the New York Times. 
I had some climbing rope capo's that I use to secure and lock the doors into place.  I dont know about you, but Dexter LOVES his swing , so I actually took that with us, and put it in to the cage.  Bingo... another security element added to his domain.  I went to my local grocery store and saw some toys (cat toys) that they were selling in the upscale parrot store, and cost 400 times what they did at the market.  So grabbed a couple of those, and the funny thing is he will only play with them in his travel cage, he wont even blink at them if I put them into his regular cage.
Water, I take a bottle of "home" water with us if I know we are one going to be out of city water, or on another city water system.  This can cause distress to small digestive systems.  In the car if we are going to be on a longer car ride... I bring frozen grapes.  They stay frozen a pretty long time, and they will provide H20 if they need it.  Well, and let's just say, it's a hecka-of-a tasty treat!
On top of the cage to offer another option for a perch, and stretching out his little feet, I attached a cotton rope perch so he would have something to sit on. 

My animals are spoiled!  Worth every penny and second!

No comments:

Post a Comment