Friday, January 21, 2011

Trying Patience...alas hormones.

Awww... today Dexter has decided that he is going to schrill like a high pitched fire alarm for attention, even when I am sitting steps away at the computer.  I am noticing that he is definitely going through some changes, and I am trying to chalk it all up to hormones.

Interesting enough I found this article:
African Parrots

African Grey Parrots frequently demonstrate signs of breeding behavior. These events seem to be less of a seasonal nature and can occur year-round especially when there is a bonded owner. Warm food and abundant food will often trigger regurgitation behaviors. Commonly coupled with these behaviors is feather picking of the trunk and legs. Control of calories, especially rich simple carbohy-drates like pasta and cookies, is very helpful. Of serious consequence is the tendency of African Grey parrots to develop severe non-responsive dermatitis of the patagium. When closely monitored, these conditions appear to start with the loss of down and contours of the wing web. Superficial vessels usually appear dilated. If allowed to continue, secondary opportunistic yeast and bacterial infections may develop. Control of chronic dermatitis can be difficult, but early intervention and environmental and behavioral corrections that focus on decreasing hormonal stimulation are usually successful.
Considering the critical distance observed between African Grey parrots in the wild and in aviary situations, the role of physical affection demonstrated by frequent petting and body contact with an owner should be considered when addressing protracted breeding behavior and hormonal feather-picking in these birds.
__________________________________________________________________________________

I can say that the touching thing isn't an issue with Dexter, he is one of the "do not touch" me greys, and isnt really cuddly.  He will also let you know what he is thinking.  So the question remains, is there something that I did to possibly cause this "breeding/mating behavior?  This is an article that I put in one of my African Grey Forums, and I got alot of feedback...

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?191932-Feathered-Piranha...&p=219691#post219691

it actually brought alot of things to light, and actually is the reason that I decided I wanted to continue this blog.  I got some private messages that asked me to write, they enjoyed my style, and how my personality flowed on to the screen.  (thanks btw)!

This Youtube video is a female African Grey exhibiting signs of Breeding behaviors.

another great quote from an article describing dealing with hormonal behaviors, and not discouraging/punishing for it

"I don't like recommending discouraging natural behaviors. I prefer finding another way around the problem. For example, when the bird tries "mating" with your husband's hand, your husband should move his hand away from the bird and tell the bird "no" (or whatever command you use with your bird). When the bird is whistling and you can't stand the noise, get your bird interested in something else instead of putting s/he in its cage and covering the cage (or leave the room for a bit until the bird stops). A mistake a lot of parrot owners make is they actually support bad behavior by their reaction to the behavior. In other words, putting the bird in its cage when it starts the high-pitched whistling may actually encourage the behavior because the bird may be doing this to get your attention. Putting the bird in the cage and covering it is a way of giving the bird exactly what it wants....attention. I recommend completely ignoring any bad behavior and ALWAYS reward positive behavior. When your bird doesn't whistle with high pitched sounds, reward it. When it does what you ask, reward it."

No comments:

Post a Comment